Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Nigella's winter fruit salad


It's not until recently that I realised I'm in love with Nigella. I always thought I had a bit more of a thing about Nigel  (Slater) but doing this blog has made me see the error of my ways. I've bastardised many more of her recipes here than his. They're easy to make, the ingredients are easy to get hold of, and she understands the time constraints on most women/mothers.
And on that note...at this time of year a mother's ambition is fairly limited - at least mine is. I'd just like to look at my children and not see a streaming nose. They are beautiful things, children, but luminous snot doesn't do much for them. In my experience the only way to get rid of it is Vitamin C. Loads of it. Cooking destroys it, so it has to be raw, and tablets don't come anywhere close to having enough - hence the winter fruit salad. This is a variation of this one on Nigella's website.
It's chock full of seasonal produce (the blueberries are in season in Uruguay, ok?) which in turn are chock full of vitamin C. Both oranges and pomegranates are jam-packed with it.
A top tip (from Nigella, of course) is to remove the seeds from a pomegranate by cutting it in half and then whacking the skin over a plate with a wooden spoon. The seeds fly into the plate and it is something kids LOVE to get involved with. At least mine do, but they are both unfeasibly keen on whacking, generally.
Winter Fruit Salad
Start to finish: 10 minutes
Serves: 2 children
1 clementine/satsuma or half an orange, whatever you have
half a banana
two tablespoons of blueberries
two tablespoons of yoghurt, vanilla would be nice, but whatever you have
one pomegranate
a splash of pomegranate juice (from a carton)
Get two small glasses to serve in. Peel and chop orange/satsuma and place at base of each glass. Pour tablespoon of pomegranate juice over. Slice banana and put half in each glass, push down with back of a spoon. Put tablespoon of blueberries in each glass. Spoon over the yoghurt and put a layer of pomegranates over the top. It's delicious and gone in seconds.
This post is part of the Forever Nigella blogging event. http://blog.maisoncupcake.com/forever-nigella/

6 comments:

  1. I've got a couple of Nigel books but I don't seem to get the same amount of use out of them at all. I blubbed at "Toast" last week on telly though.

    I'm amazed you can get your kids to eat this... mine likes satsumas but I think he'd draw the line at pomegranate as would my husband!!

    Thank you for taking part in the first Forever Nigella... I hope to see you in future months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they LOVE pomegranates! Little fingers shoving the seeds into their mouths. And it's the first time they've tried pomegranate juice and they love that too - it's all sweet, that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of winter salad... so need a bowl right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks and sounds delicious! My Little Man loved fruit so I think I'll have to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried and failed with pomegranates with my two - whacking or no - I even tried to persuade them that the seeds were in fact sweets. But still no - we are very much an apple, banana and satsuma family. Boring.
    Lucy, Crumbs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of the the "whacking" tip: thanks! I love the pretty layered look in the glass. For this event I made my first ever Nigella recipe. What is your favourite thing that she has said? I'm intrigued by her outlandish language and comments. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner